Creativity comes across as a skill peculiar to people in the creative industry such as musicians, graphic designers, fashion designers, painters, etc. According to LinkedIn instructor Stefan Mumaw, who has authored six books on creativity, ” creativity is a problem-solving with relevance and novelty”.
Creativity isn’t just a skill, the kit is valuable for career and idea development, increasing efficiency, and providing sustainable solutions to complex challenges. Whilst some persons may be natural creatives, it’s a skill that can be learned and developed with time. This article explores the meaning, importance, and benefits of creativity for career development.
What is Creativity?
Creativity is the art of converting new and imaginative ideas into reality. It is the skill required to move from ideation to creation. the ability to use the imagination to generate new ideas. It helps us build multi-perspectives to issues, find hidden patterns, and make connections between seemingly unrelated phenomena and generate solutions. Creativity can be learned. It requires passion and commitment.
The Importance of Creative Thinking
- It helps build our ability to understand various perceptions and handle uncertainties
- It enables us to solve complex problems and approach challenges
- It provides you with the ability to tap into your inner resources; knowledge, insight, information, inspiration, and combine them in extraordinary new ways.
- It drives productivity and fosters success in your career.
To be creative in your career, you should imbibe the following attributes:
- Curiosity: Be willing to ask questions. Make an extra effort to learn everything you can about how things work in your career field.
- Risk: Don’t be afraid to try new and different things. Risk-taking should be adventurous. It is a great way to explore
- Excellence: Create a value system that hinges on excellence in all your endeavors.
- Openness: You must be willing to accept and give constructive criticism. Irrespective of your efforts, it is almost impossible to please everyone all the time.
- Challenges: You must enjoy challenging tasks. It helps the creative juices spring forth.
Benefits of Creativity in the Workplace
- It gives you an edge in the career world
- It aids productivity
- It fosters teamwork and collaboration
- It’s a confidence booster
- It helps for ideation and creation
- It encourages unlearning, learning, and relearning.
To infuse creativity into our duties requires time and commitment. Search deep within and find your creative spirit in you. Don’t get stuck and never be afraid of change or challenges rather be willing to dive in and explore.
Written by: AGAPE ASANGA